Tuesday, August 2, 2011

My World - Street Vendors

Flowers, notebooks and bananas are sold cheaply by street vendors. The flower vendor has fragrant , yellow Michaelia Champak flowers, White jasmine strung into malas , the orange Kanakambara flowers and red roses.
This vendor has a cart with wheels, on which he sells seasonal local fruit. Now it is the season of the purple Jamun Syzygium cumini, also called Malabar Plum and Portuguese plum. This is a fruit of high medicinal value. The stomach infections which are common during this season , vanish if you eat two or three Jamun fruit. The seeds are used in Ayurveda for controlling diabetes.
My thanks to Klaus, Sandy, Wren, Sylvia and the Fishing Guy for hosting My World every Tuesday.

14 comments:

  1. Looks like such a wonderful experience to shop that way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always enjoy shopping the street vendors -- we don't have them like you do, but here in my neighborhood there is a farmers market and it is a wonderful place to get terrific fruits and vegetables all locally grown. There is also a very big, very well known market near downtown Seattle that is a real delight! I love your photos and the very interesting information you always include! Hope your week is off to a great start!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss those fragrant flowers that we wear, especially @ temples!

    TQ for visiting n commenting on my blog post Temple - Dwajasthambam (Flagpole):)

    ReplyDelete
  4. colorful street scenes! i love street shopping when it's not raining or at night when it's no longer hot. local markets have now put up tents.:p those plums look like what we call duhat here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your street vendors always seem to have such wonderful full and artfully arranged flowers and fruits. I don't think I could control myself were I there with money to spend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The flower stall looks so pretty. One can almost smell the fragrance of the different flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Indian street vendors are great. Love the flower ones.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A wonderful peek at the street vendors.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great shot of the street vendor. The flowers are colorful and pretty. Great photos, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to see the Jamun :) They are common here in pakistan as well. Infact, jamun and phlsa are two common fruits in the late summers here in my southern climate.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very interesting! I wish there were street vendors around here. Great colors in the top photo!

    ReplyDelete
  12. From the photo, I can smell wonderful herbs and seasoning!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beneficial fruit indeed! Any tamil name?

    ReplyDelete