Sunday, June 12, 2011

Today's Flowers

Portulaca is a small plant with attractive flowers. They are also called 10 o'clock flowers as they open at 10 in the morning.
Oleanders and Allamandas are flowering profusely in most of the gardens now.
The red Passion Flower is a winner.
The Golden Chalice vine is full of blooms now. The big yellow flowers complement the shining leaves of the vine. Although there are so many of those huge blooms on the vine every day, not a single flower gets pollinated. Perhaps our local birds and bees are not able to do it. Now I have started to pollinate the flowers with a brush, since I am curious to see the fruit.
On the other hand, each and every one of these Four 0'clock flowers Mirabilis is pollinated by the butterflies. I thank the team of Today's Flowers.

13 comments:

  1. They're gorgeous. First time I've seen the golden chalice. Thanks for sharing.

    My entry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your flowers are always so incredibly beautiful and your photos are superb! It's the first time I've seen the golden chalice, too! Exquisite! Hope your weekend is going well!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love the riot of colors in the 2nd photo. the red passion flower is my favorite, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love them all! Those profusion of blooms in the second photo is a spectacular sight!!! The Golden Chalice vine looks most exotic!

    Have a great Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! That's an awesome collection! Love them all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely mix of beautiful blooms in your garden!

    ReplyDelete
  7. all so lovely...the passion flower captures my heart this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful flowers! I found it very interesting about the ten o'clock flower, and also the red passion flower as I have never seen one of that color before, just the purple. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You must have a heavenly yard! Your flowers are beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think the first yellow one is my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I found the blooming Golden Chalice unique. I would love to take a macro shot of that flower. Actually every single flower here is beautiful. They have their own stunning characteristics.
    - Scoop and Snap

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the flowers--so nice to see what is blooming elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  13. really lovely lineup-and you have several of my favourites! I would love to get that yellow portilaca.

    ReplyDelete