Wednesday, April 20, 2011

My World- Adventure in the North-east.

In our eight day trip to the northeast of India, we saw some amazing sights, met some wonderful people and did some unusual things. I shall be writing in detail about some of them soon. The top picture shows one of the "living root bridges" of Meghalaya. The roots of the ficus trees are trained to span the stream, and eventually form a bridge across the stream. The bio engineering skills of the Khasi people is amazing.





Cherrapunjee, which has the record of having the highest rainfall in the world has many waterfalls too.




We crouched and crawled our way through this cave in the sacred forest of Mawsmai.




After going to Assam, who can resist visiting the Khaziranga National Park with its one horned rhinos and elephants and deer? In spite of the fact that I was slapped with elephant grass by the male elephant we were riding, or shouted at by the male rhino I tried to photograph, it was fun!


All this was made possible by my dear friend Kanak Hagjer of Terra farmer, who encouraged me to visit the northeast. She was the one who told me about the amazing living root bridges of Meghalaya. She suggested that we could make use of her B&B, which we accepted with alacrity.Her charming garden reflects the charm and friendliness of the hostess.

To view more sights from all over the world, please visit http://showyourworld.blogspot.com












10 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous, incredible place! The bridge and the waterfall are awesome!! And your photos are breathtaking! So glad you had such a wonderful trip! Thanks for sharing it with us! Hope your week is going well!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Padma, the root bridge is amazing! I love the angle in which you have taken this photo. Wonderful shot of the waterfalls and the rhino and the hog deer(?)

    Wow, shot by you even my welcome duck looks better!!:) Can't wait to see more pictures of Meghalaya and Kaziranga. Hope the weather is kinder tomorrow for all the gardening that you'll be doing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How beautiful is this area of India! I am hoping to visit for six months, starting in October - even though I am 66 and my arthriis grows worse every day. I know I must come soon or I never will. When I visited for ten days in 1997, I saw so little and I have loved India since that time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW Lotusleaf what an amazing occasion. A visit with Kanak must have been a dream come true. You are also an adventurer. I admire your courageous outlook on life. One day perhaps in my dream I will visit India. Looking forward to reading more on your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jaka ta przyroda inna od naszej. Miło popatrzeć. Pozdrawiam

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, this is my first visit here, came through Sylvias blog... You have a wonderful space here, your travels to the north east have sparked me to in there... The bridge is indeed a marvel, the falls magnificient...
    Thanks for this trip, looking forward to more!!
    Have a nice day:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. ooohhh aaaahhh lovely Northeast! Loved this post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing adventure! Really trilling!
    The waterfall is so tall! Manage to take bath in the river?

    ReplyDelete
  9. the root bridge is terrific! did you go across it?! how nice to visit a fellow blogger. i must make my way to the north east soon as well :)
    looking forward to reading more about your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi,
    I'm publishing a book with columns about education that I have written in the past 10 years. I'm a teacher in Art (drama and music) and languages (Dutch and French). The tree bridge for me is a metafor of how education should work: let children develop their brain instaid of you as teacher constructing their brain.
    Can I use your photo on the cover of my book? I will send you a copy of the book when it is published.

    Hope to hear from you,

    Michel Pijpers
    The Netherlands
    Michel@BruutTAAL.nl

    ReplyDelete