Monday, August 10, 2009

Some more wild flowers




When I go for my early morning walk, I invariably get a blocked nose. My yoga teacher suggested that I should put a drop of the juice of the wild leucas aspera leaves in my nostrils. It worked wonders! Now I am not troubled by blocked nose in the mornings.
The humble white flower attracts bees by droves.The juice of the leaves is used to treat skin diseases like psoriasis. The flowers are a good cough remedy. The whole plant is used by organic farmers to control pests.
The red variety is more attractive, though not so versatile.I have grown the red one in my garden to add colour during drought.


3 comments:

  1. It only goes to prove that beauty is...er, colour deep! Is leucas a kind of salvia?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you have a mild case of hay fever, if so there is no cure, but you can get medication to help or you could try a barrier in your nose like a small amount of vaseline.

    if you do have hay fever (very common here) you might also get itchy eyes at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shailaja, Yes leucas also belongs to the family lamiacae, like salvias and sages.
    Barry: Yes, I do have hay fever. Thanks for the advice. I'll try it.

    ReplyDelete